Federal Vaccine Program
Long term care facilities are being advised to participate in a federal vaccine program which will provide complimentary Covid-19 vaccines to all staff and residents. As stated by the department of health and human services and defense, large pharmacy retailers such as Walgreens and CVS have come together to administer these free vaccines. The federal government plans to fund all the costs for these vaccines and says delivering them to seniors is of top priority. CVS and Walgreens will then individually bill insurers medicare or medicaid for the costs of administering the vaccine. This could be crucial to the health and prosperity of many seniors residing within long term care facilities amidst this pandemic.
While the vaccine has not yet been approved or made readily available to the public however, scientist are confident that a vaccine is well underway and will be available soon. The white house is strongly encouraging all long term care facilities to participate. This will help facilities ensure their most vulnerable residents are taken care of once a vaccine becomes available. All long term care facilities who wish to participate in this program can sign up starting October 19th and signups will remain open for two weeks. Found below is more information on what the program includes as stated by Pharmacy Partnership for Long-Term Care Program for COVID-19 Vaccination :
As part of this program, which is free of charge to facilities, the pharmacy will:
- • Schedule and coordinate on-site clinic date(s) directly with each facility. Three visits over approximately two months will likely be needed to administer both doses of vaccine and vaccinate any new residents and staff.
- • Order vaccines and associated supplies (e.g., syringes, needles, personal protective equipment).
- • Ensure cold chain management for vaccine.
- • Provide on-site administration of vaccine.
- • Report required vaccination data (approximately 20 data fields) to the local, state/territorial, and federal jurisdictions within 72 hours of administering each dose.
- • Adhere to all applicable Centers for Medicare & Medicaid (CMS) COVID-19 testing requirements for LTCF staff.
If you or someone you love is interested in Long Term Care or Long Term Care Insurance be sure to visit: LTC TREE for more information.